Article: Why Tungsten & Cobalt Are Great Alternative Metals For Custom Jewellery
Why Tungsten & Cobalt Are Great Alternative Metals For Custom Jewellery
Over the last few years, people have been looking for alternative metals for their custom jewellery pieces. While people love their gold, silver and platinum, sometimes they want something different. Enter Tungsten and Cobalt.
Why Tungsten Is Great For Custom Jewellery In Calgary
Coming from the Swedish term meaning “heavy stone”, Tungsten is fast becoming one of the most popular metals for custom jewellery in Calgary. But what has seen this metal become so popular?
- It has a much higher density to it than gold and platinum, causing Tungsten to be stronger and feel heavier.
- The durable material (which is rated nine on the Mohs scale of hardness - same as a ruby) means it is extremely scratch-resistant, does not bend out of shape and is a very dense metal.
- Compared to the likes of gold, silver, or platinum, Tungsten is more affordable. Getting custom jewellery in Calgary made with Tungsten is less expensive than other materials.
- Low-quality Tungsten jewellery has a smaller percentage of the metal, and is, therefore, cheaper, but can shatter easily. However, you can get quality Tungsten jewellery made with a higher percentage, which ensures a quality feel and longevity.
- Their style makes it super trendy and is a very popular choice for both men and women.
- It is excellent as an “active” jewellery piece (so it's stable to wear when playing sports) due to its density and strength.
Why Cobalt Is Great For Custom Jewellery In Calgary
With its chrome look, Cobalt is one of the most popular alternative metals when it comes to custom jewellery. As element number 27 on the Periodic Table, it is the same material used in the medical industry to create products. But here is why it is now a popular option for jewellery:
- Cobalt is harder than precious metals like platinum, gold, and silver.
- The hardness of the metal means it will resist scratching and wear to a greater degree than other materials.
- Cobalt is alloyed with other metals, especially chromium, to increase its durability. It is why cobalt custom jewellery in Calgary is so difficult to damage (not that you want it to happen).
- It is also a little lighter in color than these other materials, and also has a reflective look, much like white gold.
- Cobalt jewellery is extremely scratch, chip, and corrosion-resistant, making it an excellent choice as an "everyday" wear piece.
Cobalt and Tungsten are fast becoming the go-to alternative materials for all custom, men’s, and family jewellery in Calgary. If you are interested in trying out a new metal, then look towards incorporating these two in your next jewellery piece.
Whether you choose a diamond, sapphire or ruby, come into Marlow Design for the perfect custom engagement ring. For the best diamond rings, family jewellery or jewellery repairs, resizing and cleaning, we have you covered. Let us be your one-stop jewellery shop! Questions? Contact us today for a free quote!